Skip to main content

The Beginning

 The year was 2013 and I was about to finish my schooling, that's when I noticed a gradual weight gain in my body. My belly had started to become flabby and a small double chin was noticeable. I was a very careless kid in those days and did not worry about a single thing in my life. No one likes the fact that they are overweight and like the majority of overweight people who don't like the shape they are in but are too indifferent to do something about it, I also ignored my weight gain.

It was already 2014 and I was in the 2nd year of college, I weighed around 85 kilos, which according to my height (5'11'') was touching the upper limit of standard weight. The topic of standard weight is for another post, for now, let's just keep in mind that standard weight does not apply to every individual. Coming back to my case, though 85 kilos isn't considered as overweight for my height, I knew I was extremely unhealthy. I couldn't even run half a mile without being fatigued. Still, I chose to ignore all this and did not realise that this would only get worse in future.

2014 was about to end and I weighed 92 kilos at that time. A flabby stomach, giant double chin, and a waist size of 38 inches made me look like a grown man in his mid-30s. That was the time when I realised what I have got myself into and I got depressed and felt helpless. By analysing the statistics of my weight with respect to time passed I realised that my weight would only reach to horrific numbers if I didn't do something. So, I joined a gym in my neighbourhood and lost around 8 kilos, it's a big achievement for someone who can't even jog for 5 minutes (that was I back then).

I started to look slimmer and was very happy but my happiness didn't last long as I soon realised I haven't been able to cross the 8 kg mark for a few weeks now. Having no idea why I was not able to lose more of my weight, I asked the gym instructor to guide me tell me what I am not doing in order to accelerate my weight loss. He told me to exercise every day and don't eat junk frequently. I expected more from him as exercising every day and not eating junk frequently were exactly the things I was doing for quite a time now. I now eagerly wanted a toned body, something that almost every person in the gym wants but struggle for it because of little or no support from the experts at the gym. I saw a majority of gym members exercising the in wrong form, escalating the odds of injury and the so called gym trainers did nothing to correct them and guide them. I am not stating that every gym trainer is indifferent but most of them are, consider yourself lucky if your trainer guides you well and doesn't con out of money by selling you the supplements at higher prices or sometimes by selling the fake ones. I, on the other hand, learned the proper forms and positions of the exercises by observing the trainers when they worked out. It was the only way for a lot of people to learn exercises but not all people do that, some people just exercise and don't care about the form, unless someone explains to them. The trainers should teach people the proper form for exercises but sadly they don't. The only thing the trainers did was boss around. After some days I realized this isn't working for me, gym trainers had nothing to tell me about how should I lose more weight. So, I quit the gym and decided to workout at home and figure out what's wrong with my schedule and how to fix it to lose more weight and become muscular. This decision changed my whole life, not only did I achieve my goal which was to have a toned body, but also I gained a lot of knowledge of fitness. I managed to lose a whopping 32 Kg of weight by myself and beat my body into shape. Now I am on my way to gain some muscle mass, so far I have gained 7 kilos of muscle mass and I am not stopping. I have now started to train other people and guide them correctly and show them the most effective ways to stay fit throughout their lifetime. Now I can confidently say that I will stay fit for the rest of my life no matter what because my conscience won't allow me to deviate from my trajectory.

I will write about what I did after quitting the gym in my next post.


Feel free to ask me any question regarding fitness, I would be more than happy to help you out.



My transformation from FAT to FIT.






Comments

  1. Hi mandeep... I am a married girl.. Me and my husband both are working and have a very tight schedule. I am 5.7" and 68kg and my husband is 5.8" and 85kgs. According to the height and weight ratio we botha are overweight, but we don't have time to join gym. I need ur suggestion how to get into shape as I have belly and waist fat and my husband has belly fat. It would be great if u could suggest me something. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sia, first of all you should recall the basics of fitness, for instance, drinking more water (at least 4-5 liters a day), getting a good sleep of not less than 7 hours, exercising 4-5 times a week.

      Now these things are the easiest things which a person can do regardless of his/her schedule. If you think you don't have time for exercise, then wake up early in the morning, start by exercising for only 20 minutes and gradually increasing it to around 45 minutes.
      This could be much easier for you than you realize, because you are a couple. If one of you is strict and determined, he/she can motivate the other and wake you up in the morning. Research shows that good habits are likely to be more adaptive if you have a partner in them. The two of you can surely motivate one another.

      A suggestion for morning workout would be to jog for 10 minutes and brisk walk for 10 minutes (as your schedule is tight and probably stamina is low in the beginning, this 20 minute simple workout can do wonders for you, and later on (after 2 months of consistent hard work) you may switch to some difficult exercises, for that I am always here :) )

      If you think this workout is too easy then try jogging for 15 minutes and modify the workout (always keep some challenges in your workout by increasing time or speed of your jogging).

      Though there are more effective workouts but as you both have a very tight schedule, I am only recommending something which you can continue in future to get results and don't give up.

      You can do it, you only have to wake up 20 minutes sooner.
      I did not tell you the nutritional information because right now you won't be able to simply change your lifestyle and diet. But after 2 months of hard work and results, I hope you get motivated enough to follow a nutritious diet which I can help you with of course.
      I only suggested you some things which you can still do regardless of your schedule.

      Do let me know the results you got after 2 months, I wish you all the best and you can always ask anything regarding fitness from me :)

      And keep sharing my blog to support and motivate me so that I could help as many people as I can and spread health awareness.

      I will be posting useful information for the people to help them achieve their fitness goals.

      Delete
  2. Do you use any supplement during your workout or just doing exercise and eating healthy food?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What are complex carbohydrates?

If you have read some of my previous posts, you must have an idea of what carbs are, they are basically the primary source of your body's energy. If you don't take carbs, it would become extremely hard to survive the day, especially if you have a lot of work to do. A human body, like every other piece of machinery, needs fuel to function properly, and that fuel is carbs. Protein, carbs, and fats are macro nutrients that could serve as a source of energy, but carbs come first on the list of preferred fuel for your body because it's what they are supposed to do. If your body is using protein as energy, it means you are breaking your muscle mass which is not good, and if your body is using fats as energy, it means you are losing body fat which is not a good thing for a fit person, and a temporary thing for a person who wants to lose weight (topic for another post). After eating carbs, your body then works to break those carbs into glucose which gets stored in glyc

Workout on an empty stomach

Dear Dehli, Did you know that according to NFHS (National Family Health Survey) of India (2007 data), 45.5% of your male inventory is overweight or obese? Congratulations on overtaking Punjab with a whopping 15% margin and holding the title of The State with most obesity of India". Not only did you win the men's non-health championship, you even nailed in women's non-health championship with an enormous 50% of females rendered obese in 2007. Talking about 2016, over 20.7% of India's female population is overweight while that of the male population is 18.6% with urban areas contributing almost two-thirds of them. But guess what? People die of heart attacks even if they are not overweight, they get diabetes even if they are not overweight, and all sorts of diseases are prevalent in the normal weight category as well. Ever thought why is that? Let me tell you in another post. For now, let's just talk about how to proceed with your weight loss/muscle bui

Gained Weight after quitting the Gym? What went wrong?

Surrounded by perspectives and opinions, no matter how false or inaccurate, people not only do nothing, but they also stop others from doing it. This reminds me of a story of a group of monkeys, I'm sure a lot of readers remember it. The story goes like this:  "A monkey was put in a cage with no roof and manageable height of the walls so it could easily climb his way out and set itself free. The moment he tried to climb the cage wall, a machine from top came and pulled him down with a hook. The monkey was now baffled and after multiple failed attempts, it finally gave up and made peace with the cage considering there was nothing it could do to change things. Soon the sun was down, and the machine was gone, the monkey had the whole night to escape the cage, but due to its past experience, it did not even try this time and stayed in the cage for the whole night. Next morning, another monkey joined it, and, like the first one, it also tried to climb the cage wall,